How’d I Get Here?
I’ve been uploading files to DreamHost for a two days now, and duplicity just purrs away in my
gnome-terminal shell doing what it does, out of sight and out of mind. However, one day I reallllly wanted to fix the annoying encoding default of
gnome-terminal on my Gentoo machine.
After some research I learned that I needed to tweak some environmental variables and restart my gnome-terminals as they all run as one process it seems. I could test this out by setting
LANG=en_US.UTF-8 and running
gnome-terminal --disable-factory causing it to start a new process. Perfect, now I can fix everything. I dug through my init scripts and found that on Gentoo gdm (aka xdm in someplaces) sets the
LANG variable that gets inherited down stream. I made an
/etc/env.d/02locale file with the following:
env-update and all I needed to do was reload gdm and log back in.
Not quite that easy as I still have this duplicity process running and was approaching halfway at 2 days. If I had been smart when I started the backup I would have ran it in
screen and just detached the
screen session and let it run in the backgound, but I wasn’t.
There had to be a way to change the parent of the process I thought, and after some googling I discovered the bash
disown function. Awesome. Apparently I could change the parent of the running processor so it wouldn’t close when I closed the terminal and subsequently my X session. So I opened the gnome-terminal running duplicity, CTRL+Z to stop the process, then I ran
bg to background it in that terminal, and then I ran
disown, and bam, its parent had changed to the init process as viewed by
pstree success. Restarted my X session and it was still happily uploading away.
Now I know how to
disown my computer and am no longer frustrated by UTF-8 and gnome-terminal.